Emergency Dispatch: (703) 335-7990

Customer Service: (703) 335-7950


English Korean Spanish Urdu Vietnamese

Service Connection Policy & FAQ

water flowing out of tap


PDF Icon

Click Here to View the Service Connection Policy


Service Connection Policy Frequently Asked Questions

Click on the questions below to view the answers.

I have a failing septic system or well and need to connect to the Service Authority's water/sewer system. Will the Service Authority build the lines to my property or fund the connection?

In order to maintain fairness and equity with all of our customers, property owners in unserved areas of Prince William County who wish to connect to the system are responsible for the cost to extend distribution or collection lines from existing Service Authority mains to their property as well as the applicable Availability Fees.

To view or download the brochure Connecting to the Service Authority System, click here.

Is there a requirement to connect a home to a proposed sewer or water line if located within 2,500 feet?

In accordance with County ordinances, there is no mandatory hook up for any homes located within 2,500 feet of public water or 1,000 feet for sewer that are classified Semi-Rural Residential (SRR) or Rural. Under the County code, new development on SRR- or Rural-classified land has the option to connect to any sewer line within 1,000 feet and any water line within 2,500 feet, provided the connection is technically feasible and not otherwise prohibited by the Prince William County Comprehensive Plan or County code. The Service Authority follows the guidance of the County Comprehensive Plan and County code, which are adopted and can only be amended by the Prince William Board of County Supervisors (BOCS). Only the BOCS can modify these provisions/restrictions in the Comprehensive Plan or County code.

Does the installation of a sewer and/or water line(s) lead to growth and increased density?

Some believe and have stated that the installation of a sewer and/or water line will inevitably lead to development, growth and increased density. This is not the case. Development and rezoning to increase the density of development are land use issues controlled by the Planning Commission's review and BOCS approval process. The allowable density is determined by the Comprehensive Plan and County code. A density increase could only come about if the BOCS amended the Comprehensive Plan and rezoned to permit greater density. The Service Authority only reviews new development plans to advise availability of utilities and is bound by the Comprehensive Plan regarding any new development's use of public water and sewer in the development area.

Does the Service Authority follow the Comprehensive Plan?